2017 General Assembly held in Central Philippine University
Seventy-three (73) participants from eight (8) countries convened in the 2017 General Assembly of Association for Theological Education in South East Asia (ATESEA) on March 21-22, 2017 at Central Philippine University.
The General Assembly, held every four years, brought together heads of schools to cultivate the spirit of collegiality and cooperation among the member schools and provide directions for the enrichment of theological education in the region. The gathering also marked ATESEA’s 60th year in its engagement with seminary education.
Archbishop Antonio J. Ledesma, S.J., Archbishop of Cagayan de Oro was invited to deliver the keynote address on the topic, “Reformation, Ecumenism and Theological Education” from the Roman Catholic’s Perspective. His presentation was in conjunction with this year’s 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. In response to Archbishop Ledesma’s speech, Dr. Kung Lap Yan, Associate Professor from the Divinity School of Chung Chi College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, affirmed the archbishop’s challenge “to enhance our Christian responsibility and unity in a culture of encounter.”
Rev. Dr. Ngoei Foong Nghian, ATESEA Chairperson, reported on the progress made by the association and challenged the member schools to move forward into its new direction ensuring the continuity of “good governance and responsible stewardship and reinforce institutional memory.”
In his report as ATESEA Executive Director, Rev. Dr. Limuel Equina stressed the five thrusts of ATESEA which guided the Association’s initiatives for the past four years. They are Faculty Development, Accreditation, Library Development, Leadership Development, and Publication. Furthermore, he cited the special projects and ATESEA’s representations in various institutions worldwide, thus, expanding its linkages.
Also present in the said occasion were representatives from the partners of ATESEA: Dr. H.S. Wilson, Executive Director of the Foundation for Theological Education in the South East Asia (FTESEA), and Dr. Mathews George Chunakara, General Secretary of Christian Conference of Asia (CCA).
The General Assembly closed with the election of the following new set of members of the Board of Trustees who will serve the Association until 2021:
- Chairperson : Dr. Tan Kim Huat (Trinity Theological College, Singapore)
- Vice Chairperson: Dr. Simon Chow (Lutheran Theological Seminary, Hong Kong)
- Secretary: Dr. Jeaneth Faller (Silliman University Divinity School, Dumaguete City, Philippines)
- Treasurer: Dr. Joas Adiprasetya (Jakarta Theological Seminary, Jakarta, Indonesia)
- Associate Treasurer: Dr. Chananporn Jaisaodee (The McGilvary College of Divinity, Payap University, Chiang Mai, Thailand)
- Dr. Judy Berinai (Sabah Theological Seminary, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia)
- Drs. Maria Regina Adolfina Pada (Faculty of Theology – Artha Wacana Christian University, Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia)
- Dr. Meng Hun Goh (Taiwan Theological College and Seminary, Taipei, Taiwan)
- Dr. Samuel Ngun Ling (Myanmar Institute of Theology, Insein, Yangon, Myanmar)
Dr. Limuel Equina has been re-appointed as Executive Director until 2021. extended until 2021.